Houndwood, a Brief History
The estate was partially apple orchards,
especially on the east of the estate as can be seen in 1885 and 1904 maps. In
1955 the Bullmead distribution warehouse was built to the north end of the site.
This was joined by the Cowmead in 1957 to house raw materials, Woodgate was
built in 1969 as another distribution warehouse. The Maple warehouse, followed in 1960, Maple manufactured shoe lasts. The shoe tree sculpture, originally part of the
estate, used lasts from here to adorn it.
To understand more click here to see 50 years of Clarks Houndwood site 1955 to 2005
In 2002 plans were discussed and some controversy ensued as can be seen in this newspaper article to learn more Click Here
2003 saw Outline planning permission for warehouse and distribution centre was given Mendip Planning outline planning permission
Public consultation continued Whilst there was some support it also saw opposition to the planning permission as can be seen in this newspaper article for April 2003 However, permission was given in 2003 and again when any changes were agreed. Local people from the Parish Council, Street Society and various residents toured model developments to understand different sorts of housing estates. Concepts of how things could be were developed with the designers.
In 2005 the Westway Distribution Warehouse was
built, and the site business site closed. In May 2006 full planning permission
was given for the housing development. Crest Nicholson started build the “Icon” part of the estate in 2008. In 2011 Crest
Nicholson finished their part of estate and Barratts started building theirs
completing it in 2018. As the site was called Houndwood by Clarks when their
warehouses were there the estate went back to being called Houndwood although
some still refer to it as Icon.
View an overlay Map of anywhere in Somerset